Sunday, 10 May 2015

Review: A Radical Arrangement by Jane Ashford



A Radical Arrangement
Author: Jane Ashford
Release Date: 4 August 2015
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca

A MATCHLESS DILEMMA

Sir Justin Keighley was everything that repelled Margaret Mayfield in a man. He was shocking in his opinions, arrogant in his manner, rude in his actions, and completely without respect for the common decencies of civilized society.

Margaret was everything that Sir Justin detested in a woman. She was shy, retiring, obedient to her parents, almost embarrassed by her own beauty, and ignorant of virtually every phase of real life in the real world.

Needless to say, they both did everything in their power to escape being matched with each other. Somehow everything was not enough....


Review- DNF


I am just so disappointed by this book. I started reading it as soon as I could because it just sounded so up my alley. I love reading romances where the couple are total opposites at first. I also love it when the heroine finds her strength and gets the chance to develop into the woman she always could have been. This had the kind of set-up and characters I usually love to read about, but that was definitely not the case here. I stopped reading halfway through because I couldn't care less about the characters and that's just not what I want when I'm reading a book.

My major issue with the book was Margaret. I could probably rant about her for a while, but I'll keep it brief. She was an idiot. She's been extremely sheltered by her overprotective parents but that doesn't excuse her complete and utter lack of sense. Then when she acts like a complete ninny, it results in a 'compromising scene' and she has the audacity to act like a blameless victim and blames Justin for what happened. She improves slightly when she's away from her parents, but the turn about in character was unbelievable. There was no actual development, it was just that all of a sudden she's like a different person. I didn't buy it, despite trying to.

Justin was alright. I don't feel like I got to know him much in the first half of the book. I was on his side though and thought that he was completely justified in his assessment of Margaret.

It's a shame because I liked the premise, but this just wasn't for me. I know others have enjoyed this book, so maybe I'm in the minority but I wouldn't recommend it.

*I received a review copy via NetGalley for my honest opinion. Thank you.

 photo signature_zpse432d412.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)