Friday, 22 August 2014

Book Review: The Good Girl by Dawn Robertson & Lily White



The Good Girl
Authors: Dawn Robertson & Lily White
Release Date: 23 May 2014

School from nine to four.
Bartending from nine to two.
Wake up and do it all over again.
All while depending on no one but myself…
because everyone in my life has repeatedly let me down.

I cling to the one thing that will always remain a constant in my life: Art.
Body art, photography, painting… you name it and my interest is piqued.
Almost as strong as his interest in me.

I wanted nothing to do with him
But he was the type who took what he wanted.
His hate became his obsession
And his obsession became so much more.

I am his good girl
And I wonder if he'll ever let me go.

***Content Disclaimer - This book contains descriptions of violence and is only intended for mature audiences 18 years of age and older***


Review



Eleni was a difficult character to empathise with, despite her terrible predicament. I need to connect with characters to a certain extent for me to actually care what happens to them, and it just didn't really happen with her. She's abrasive, self-absorbed and crude. Don't get me wrong- there's a reason she's like that, she has a horrible childhood with abusive junkie parents. She works hard at school, but aside from that she's on self-destruct. I think if she had been a bit more toned down I would have liked her more- but then maybe the story wouldn't have worked as well.

Gabriel was a pretty fascinating character, I loved the glimpses into his mind. It's pretty much what I imagine looking into the psyche of a sociopath would be like. He yearns to hurt Eleni, and to begin with he wants to do this to help her find that spark of light inside of her. As her time with him progresses, he starts to lose that shred of sanity and give in to his darker urges. I always wanted him to find his way through the dark, and it all comes to a head near the end of the book.

The writing flows well, especially considering it's a collaborative work between two authors. The chapters from Gabriel's POV were especially gripping and my favourite parts.
In the end, I think this book was just a bit too dark and brutal for me. As much as I wanted to enjoy it more than I did, I couldn't quite get there. I definitely found it very interesting and struggled to put it down. It's intense and absorbing, with a plot that leaves you unsure of what could happen next.

*I received a review copy for my honest opinion. Thank you!

 photo signature_zpse432d412.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)