Saturday, 10 May 2014

Book review: The Devil of Clan Sinclair by Karen Ranney



The Devil of Clan Sinclair (Clan Sinclair #1)
Author: Karen Ranney
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: 30 July 2013

For Virginia Traylor, Countess of Barrett, marriage was merely the vehicle to buy her father a title. Widowhood, however, brings a host of problems. For her husband deliberately spent the money intended for Virginia and her in-laws, leaving them penniless—unless she produces an heir. Desperate and confused, Virginia embarks on a fateful journey that brings her to the doorstep of the only man she's ever loved...

He's known as The Devil, but Macrath Sinclair doesn't care. He moved to a tiny Scottish village in hopes of continuing his work as an inventor and starting a family of his own. He bought the house; he chose the woman. Unfortunately, Virginia didn't choose him. Macrath knows he should turn her away now, but she needs him, and he wants her more than ever. Whatever game Virginia's playing, Macrath intends to win—one wickedly seductive deed at a time...

Review


I loved this story so, so much!! It absolutely broke my heart and then put it back together slowly, piece by piece. I was so overly emotional when reading this, I scared myself a little. No joke. I loved reading this story from two different time perspectives, you can see how deeply in love Macrath and Virginia were before she married and then see them overcome the obstacles thrown their way for their second chance.

My heart just ached for Virginia. She was always a bit of a wallflower, and most men just saw the fortune she was an heiress to and not her. That all changes when she meets Macrath Sinclair and falls hopelessly, head over heels in love. Alas, her controlling father forces her into marriage with an ailing Earl. Virginia has a very quiet strength about her that grows through the book and you can see her taking control of her life. Virginia may have let love slip through her fingers too easily before, but she learns from her past mistakes and fights for love and her happiness.
Macrath is stubborn, passionate, intelligent, and pretty damn perfect. I mean, Karen Ranney can write one hell of an appealing Scot! I adored how sincere and sweet he was when they were in love and planning to marry- he was just too sweet. After Virginia's marriage he hardens somewhat, and throws himself into his work but he never forgets her.

The story was so absorbing and I found myself staying up all night to finish it....even though I had work the next morning. I couldn't stop myself, and I had to know how Macrath and Virginia would finally resolve all of their issues. There were a lot of obstacles in their way, some they had created themselves and others were from outside influences. I won't give anything away, but my heart was definitely in my throat towards the end of the book!

This was the first book from Karen Ranney I read and I absolutely adored it! I've also now read the second book in the series, The Witch of Clan Sinclair, and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. Karen Ranney writes with a wonderful sense of timing and her characters are so well developed and full of life that you can't help but be completely engaged in this sweetly turbulent story. I just need to read The Virgin of Clan Sinclair now, and I'm so excited to read it!

*I received a review copy from the publisher, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)