Friday, 25 April 2014

Book Review: What I Did For a Duke by Julie Anne Long



What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green #5)
Author: Julie Anne Long
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: 22 February 2011

For years, he's been an object of fear, fascination . . . and fantasy. But of all the wicked rumors that shadow the formidable Alexander Moncrieffe, Duke of Falconbridge, the ton knows one thing for certain: only fools dare cross him. And when Ian Eversea does just that, Moncrieffe knows the perfect revenge: he'll seduce Ian's innocent sister, Genevieve—the only Eversea as yet untouched by scandal. First he'll capture her heart . . . and then he'll break it.

But everything about Genevieve is unexpected: the passion simmering beneath her cool control, the sharp wit tempered by gentleness . . . And though Genevieve has heard the whispers about the duke's dark past, and knows she trifles with him at her peril, one incendiary kiss tempts her deeper into a world of extraordinary sensuality. Until Genevieve is faced with a fateful choice . . . is there anything she won't do for a duke?

Review

I really loved this! I thought it was a very refreshing story that deviates from some of the over-used plotlines that we see so often in historical romance.

Genevieve was a wonderful heroine. She's intelligent and passionate, but she keeps this passion well veiled underneath a calm and composed exterior. Everyone thinks she's the sensible Eversea, but really she just keeps herself very composed. She's a very interesting mix of innocence and mischief. I admired that she was so steadfast in her love for her best friend, Harry, even if I was screaming inside for her to realise her true feelings for Alex! Genevieve really comes into her own as a person and as a woman as the story progresses, and it was really brilliantly done. I truly applaud Julie Anne Long for writing such a well developed and realistic heroine!

Alex, the Duke of Falconbridge, is one of the best heroes I've read about in a while. He is divine, in his own way. He's not a handsome young rogue. He's mature, confident and is comfortable in his own skin- all of which is incredibly appealing. He's brutally honest at times and unapologetic about it, but sometimes that frankness translates into a beautiful honesty that had me swooning. He's lived a life with plenty of ups and downs, so in a way he's weary and he doesn't play games. Whilst Alex originally starts pursuing Genevieve to enact revenge upon her brother, Ian, he soon stops this plan and rather starts pursuing her simply because he wants to.

I adore Alex and Genevieve as a couple. I thought he gave her the opportunity to find herself and embrace her true nature. Whilst Genevieve is able to break through the walls he's erected around himself and his heart. Plus, they had awesome chemistry. Even when she knew she shouldn't, Genevieve can't stop herself from seeking him out. I also loved how they continued to torture Ian even after Genevieve was aware of Alex's revenge plans, it was hilarious and he definitely deserved it.

I really enjoy Julia Anne Long's writing style. She writes with a fun, mischievous sense of humour, and a direct intelligence that was very appealing. This is only the second book I've read by her, but I'm determined to read the rest of this series. I actually read this one because Genevieve and Alex are in book 9, Between the Devil and Ian Eversea, and I really liked them in it and wanted to read their story. A very good choice, indeed! 

Honestly I would recommend this to everyone! It's a sweet, romantic and fun story that sweeps you off your feet. Alex Moncrieffe is definitely being added to my list of favourite heroes, and I have no doubt that list will continue to grow as I dive into Julie Anne Long's backlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)