Wednesday, 15 January 2014

Book Review: Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James



Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades #1)
Author: E. L.James
Publisher: Vintage
Release Date: 25 May 2011

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.

Review

I caved. When Fifty Shades of Grey first came out, I didn't think it would be my cup of tea, so I didn't read it. Then, I started to read a lot more contemporary and erotica, so I figured it was time to read it! I can see what all the fuss is about now. I didn't love it as much as some people, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and I've had Christian Grey on the brain since I finished.

I'll be honest, I was worried I wouldn't like Ana very much, but I found her to be very relatable and likable. She's not a super naive pushover (my worry), she's just innocent and in total lust with Christian. I liked that she didn't just totally give in to Christian's demands, and she tries to negotiate between her reservations about his expectations and the attraction she feels towards him. She's understandably curious about Christian and his mysterious past, and wants more than just a sexual relationship with him. She wants more, but whether he can give more is another matter.
Christian Grey is the man of many women's dreams, and it's not hard to see why. He's compelling,enigmatic and too darn sexy for his own good. He's clearly got issues and is beyond reticent about his past, which just makes you yearn to uncover all his secrets and know the tortured man inside. He's so dominant and sexy, that all bedroom scenes gave me the tingles and definitely grabbed my attention. Any time the sweet, playful side of Christian came out, I positively melted and I'm hoping that as I read the series it will come out more and more!

Ana and Christian have a great chemistry and it's not hard to see why Ana is willing to try Christian's unconventional bedroom lifestyle, in order to be with him. Ana has enough intelligence and backbone to be able to stand up to Christian and challenge him when needed. 
On to the glaringly obvious part of the book that needs to be talked about- the BDSM aspect of Christian and Ana's relationship. Obviously it plays a big part in the book, and I found it really interesting to watch Ana struggle to make up her mind about the contract. She never thought that it would be a part of her life, and Christian is a rather startling introduction to this. I loved it though! I loved reading about Ana's indecision about committing to this lifestyle, because it was definitely not an easy decision for her. 

Overall, I really liked this book, and I'm glad I finally listened to the hype and got my copy. I loved Christian and the man makes you positively swoon! 
I'm definitely looking forward to reading the rest of the series and getting some answers to my many questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)