Friday, 13 December 2013

Book Review: Three of Hearts by W. Ferraro



Three of Hearts (Hamden #1)
Author: W. Ferraro
Release Date: 15 September 2012

Mae Turney is searching for the type of life and happiness she has never known but has only dreamed about. She's fortunate enough to find a great opportunity to live in an exterior apartment of a beautiful lake house in a small town in Vermont. When she realizes the apartment and scenery are not the only gorgeous appeal but the home owner, Seth Finn, is as well, she puts it all on the line for the chance at love. When she becomes comfortable and confident in her own skin and sexuality, Mae realizes that this place and this man is exactly what she came looking for. Knowing Seth and his three children are as special as they come, Mae bets the house, and prays she and her gamble are enough.

Review



Oh dear. I hate to say it, but this book was such a disappointment for me. I just didn't enjoy it. I liked the very beginning, but it was pretty much downhill from there. 

Mae was nice and I liked her for the majority of the book. She's very sweet and lovely, which just translated into her being a pushover towards the end of the book. Events happen, which I won't specify in order to keep this spoiler-free, and she's just kinda spineless about it. It really irritated me.
Seth inspired a mix of different emotion from me. Initially I liked him, he was a good Dad and he was so sweet and doting with Mae. Then the events happen I mentioned previously, and he pissed me off majorly. He did a complete 180, and acted like a massive asshole. Which would be okay because people make mistakes, but then he never really made up for it. Which meant he stayed a massive asshole in my head, and this completely overshadowed any warm, fuzzy feelings I may have had. 

Mae and Seth's relationship moves very quickly. They have a very strong sexual chemistry and it seems to override their common sense entirely. You'd think Seth would be a bit more circumspect about dating because of his young, impressionable kids. Everything about the speed of their relationship had me shaking my head. At first, I enjoyed the love scenes, they were intense, passionate and sweet. But then I just got bored of them, I found myself skimming them because they were copious and too repetitive.

Overall, I found this book very tedious. It took me a while to read it because I just didn't want to anymore, but I was determined! More than once I made a note for my review, saying that it was overly sweet. And I like sweet romances, so that really is saying something!
I found the dialogue very stilted and awkward at times. It's a pet peeve of mine when an author doesn't use enough contractions, and it's very noticeable in this book.
Seth's children were a saving grace in this book, particularly his daughter, Megan. They were very cute, and I liked the relationships they had with Seth and Mae.

It's safe to say, that I didn't particularly enjoy this book. But I'm clearly in the minority, because it's had loads of great reviews. So, it wasn't my cup of tea but it's clearly someone else's.

*I received a review copy from the author, for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)