Friday, 13 December 2013

Book Review: The Cheer in Charming an Earl by Emma Locke



The Cheer in Charming an Earl (The Naughty Girls Series 3.5)
Author: Emma Locke
Publisher: Intrepid Reads
Release Date: 10 November 2013

FOR LOVE...

The second of five impoverished sisters, Miss Elinor Conley knows her dream of becoming a lady is farfetched. When an unmarried gentleman happens by her brother's smithy, it is up to her to act quickly—and rashly—to secure his interest. But Grantham Wendell, Earl Chelford, isn't in the market for anything more than a new horseshoe. What's a bachelor to do when an innocent miss turns up at his Christmas Eve bacchanalia? He ought to make her leave, but his Twelfth Night party just became more entertaining...

Review

This is the first time I've read anything by Emma Locke, I enjoy reading a novella from an author first to see how I enjoy their writing. And the writing style was one of the best things about the book, it was light, witty and entertaining. Exactly what I was in the mood for!

Miss Elinor Conley is desperate. There are no eligible bachelors in her village and with the threat of spinsterhood looming in front of her, she makes a rather rash decision to convince an Earl she has never met that they would be a perfect match. She sees Grantham, Earl Chelford, at her brother's smithy and decides that they're meant to be and concocts a scheme to meet him so that he can see that. Because there's no flaws in that plan.
Elinor is actually a very likable heroine. She is naive and sheltered, and more than a little silly, to begin with. But she's good-hearted and once she gets a serious reality check, she's a bit more sensible. 
I liked Grantham, he has some hidden qualities and buries the pain from the loss of his family in bad behaviour at Christmas- something Elinor stumbles upon. He doesn't really stand out for me, as a hero, though.

This is a sweet novella, especially with Christmas so close! It's a great length and easily held my interest. I just wish there had been a little more. It felt like it needed another chapter, or an epilogue to round out Elinor and Grantham's romance- it just felt like their relationship was a little unfinished.
Apart from that, a great introduction to the Naughty Girls series, and I'll be playing catch up with the series very soon. 

*I received a review copy from the publisher, via NetGalley, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)