Sunday, 17 November 2013

Book Review: The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken



The Bet
Author: Rachel Van Dyken
Publisher: Forever
Release Date: 25 June 2013

"I have a proposition for you." Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. It's been years since Kacey's seen her childhood friend Jake, but the minute Jake mentions his ill grandmother, Kacey is ready to do anything for the sweet old woman. And if that means pretending they're engaged for her sake-so be it.

But Kacey wasn't counting on Jake's older brother Travis still being there. She calls him "Satan" for a reason: she's never forgotten the way he teased and taunted her. Yet when they meet again, Travis's gorgeous smile is a direct hit to her heart . . . and Kacey's more confused than ever. As the days pass, only one thing starts to become alarmingly clear-she never should have accepted Jake's deal . . .

Review



Starting The Bet, I had heard a lot of people say how funny and sweet it is and I was pretty excited to read it. But I was, unfortunately, a bit disappointed. There were moments of humour and I liked most of the characters, but the only ones that really stood out for me were Grandma because she's pretty awesome and Jake because he's such a huge jackass. 

My feelings about Kacey were a bit all over the place- like her. I would sometimes like her and then at other times I'd be rolling my eyes at her constantly. She over reacts fairly often and it can be pretty boring after a while. She's also a complete sucker for Jake's charismatic bullshit. Yes, they have history and were best friends when they were younger, but she just needed her eyes opened. Having said all that, she could be funny, and seems like the kind of girl it would be fun to be friends with.
I liked Travis, he's always had a crush on Kacey but he couldn't figure out how to show it when they were younger. So, eventually they became childhood 'nemeses'. Poor Travis, always overlooked by Kacey for Jake. But Travis has plenty of his own attractions, he sounds very hot (of course) and he's also very sweet. Although, he was quite hot and cold with Kacey. I just wanted him to take control of their relationship and admit how he felt about her.

Travis and Kacey had sparks flying between them immediately when they meet again, and it's not just sexual chemistry. They're instantly bickering and making jabs at each other. It would have been kind of cute, but it was just constant and made Travis and Kacey come across as really annoyingly immature quite a bit. It was just a bit too much.

Grandma is bloody awesome though. I honestly can't imagine an 85 year old woman in 6 inch heels, but I really wish I could. She's devious and totally shameless, and I love her for it. 

Despite some of the aspects of this book that irritated me, this is rather sweet and is a fast paced romance. I liked the second half of the book more, as the focus shifted more to Travis and Kacey's relationship. 

*I received a review copy of the book from the publisher, via NetGalley, for my honest review. Thank you!

Because reading is better than real life

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)