Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Book Review: Out of Line by Jen McLaughlin



Out of Line
Author: Jen McLaughlin
Release Date: 6 September 2013

Desperate to break free…

I've spent my entire life under my father’s thumb, but now I'm finally free to make my own choices. When my roommate dragged me to my first college party, I met Finn Coram and my life turned inside out. He knows how to break the rules and is everything I never knew I wanted. A Marine by day and surfer by night, he pushes me away even as our attraction brings us closer. Now I am finally free to do whatever I want. I know what I want. I choose Finn.

Trying to play by the rules...

I always follow orders. My job, my life, depends on it. I thought this job would be easy, all the rules were made crystal clear, but when I met Carrie Wallington, everything got muddy. She's a rule I know I shouldn't break, but damn if I don’t inch closer to the breaking point each time I see her. I’m ready to step out of line. And even worse? I’m living a lie. They say the truth will set you free, but in my case…
The truth will cost me everything.

Review







I really enjoyed this book, and it's helped to pull me out of the reading rut I had fallen into. I thought that the plot line was fairly original and it definitely intrigued me immediately.

Carrie is so relatable and likable. She loves her parents, but feels so smothered by them. She's relishing the opportunity to gain some independence and live her own life. She's pretty sensible for a sheltered girl at college, but she is also quite naive. I could see how much of a prick Cory is from a mile away, but she still hangs out with him when she should know better.

Finn. Finn, Finn, Finn. I fell a bit in love with Finn immediately, and the feeling grew throughout the book. He sounds super hot, and it was refreshing that he looks like a bad boy but isn't! Plus, he's a surfing marine....a SURFING MARINE!!! I'm sorry but if that doesn't sound hot, I don't what does. Anyways...even though he is lying to Carrie from the get go, it's easy to understand and forgive because he just can't keep himself away from her, or from falling for her.

Of course, you know going in that there's going to be drama down the line. She is eventually going to find out that he's lied and is working for her Dad, and understandably she's going to be pissed. I kept thinking that they were so very sweet together, then I would start worrying about how devastated and furious she's going to be when she finds out- which she was.

I felt every emotion, and found myself rolling around in bed and screeching...a weird way of saying that I was freaking out when the inevitable 'finding out' scene came. Seriously though, I was drawn in straight away and wrapped up in Carrie and Finn's romance. It does have a cliffhanger ending, and I am just dying to know what will happen between them next- although the ending is more of a HFN type of cliffhanger.
Really loved it, and I can't wait for Out of Time!

*I received a review copy, for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)