Thursday, 1 August 2013

Book Review: Spark by Brooke Cumberland



Spark
Author: Brooke Cumberland
Publication Date: 27 July 2013

When your past controls your future, how do you move forward?
Velaney Wills knows about that all too well.

Weak, powerless, and fearing the one person who has hurt her the most…can she overcome the barriers to move forward?Being saved by a muscled Godsend was never on her agenda, but when firefighter, Eric Reilley comes into her life unexpectedly, everything changes.

Velaney has never felt loved or cared for, and her past prevents her from letting anyone in. Eric manages to break down her walls—despite the repercussions that come for them afterwards.

They have an undeniable spark—something she has never felt before, but will it be enough? Can love overcome all obstacles? Can they save each other to protect their love or will her past shatter everything she never knew she needed…?

**Spark is for mature audiences only – strong language, explicit sexual content, and sexual abuse are apparent.**

My Review







Velaney has a terrible and traumatic past that haunts her every day and keeps her from letting people in. All that changes when she's saved by firefighter, Eric. Eric works to get past her defences and before long, they crumble in the face of his wickedly hot persistence. Unfortunately, the past catches up with Velaney and won't give up. 

Velaney was abused when she was young, by one of the people who should have been there to look after her and protect her. She's not felt loved or protected since she was 8 years old, and struggles to let people in. Obviously, any romance she attempts is going to be a bit rocky and pretty terrifying for her. My heart hurt for her, of course, and I was rooting for her to find her strength and her happy ending. 
Eric had me swooning from the get go- protective, caring, tattooed, muscled, fireman with a nipple ring and a Texan accent. Who can resist that?? I loved how understanding and sweet he was with Velaney when she told him about her past, he was so supportive and determined to take things with them slowly. I wish we got to know Eric a little bit better though! 

The chemistry was burning up my kindle, and I loved the build up to when they were ready to actually have sex. It was sweet and very sexy when their passion finally combusted!
There's a lot that happens in this book, and it's very fast paced. I thought that it suited the progression of Eric and Velaney's relationship, and forces her to confront her feelings for Eric completely.
Also, I totally loved Carissa, Velaney's best friend. She's fiery and fun, and she's also Velaney's rock and is possibly the best book best friend I've read about!
Oh and my heart stopped in the hospital scene- I was completely devastated for a minute. Very cruel, Ms. Cumberland! :)

The thing that stopped me from giving this a higher rating, was Aidan's character. He's a completely sick and twisted man, as expected. But I couldn't understand that after the first incident with him, why they didn't contact the police again. They tried to deal with him by themselves and it clearly wasn't going to work well with someone so utterly deranged. I felt a bit like he pushed at the limits of my believability.
And her parents, my god! How could they let something like that happen, I don't know how Velaney dealt with them so calmly. I was furious!
Of course at the same time, it leaves the plot wide open for Burn, book 2! 

I really enjoyed Spark and loved following Eric and Velaney's tempestuous journey. I drooled after Eric, empathised with Velaney, and hated Aidan- so, a job well done! I was determined to find out how it would all end, I'll have to read the next book to get some closure though!

*I received and ARC from the author, for my honest opinion. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)