Sunday, 25 August 2013

Book Review: Midsummer Magick by Laura Navarre



Midsummer Magick (Book 2 in Magick Trilogy)
Author: Laure Navarre
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: 12 August 2013
Tudor England, 1559
The Virgin Queen's Court whispers about shy scholar Lady Linnet Norwood, who spent a year and a day trapped in the Faerie realm and returned as a ruined woman. Linnet, however, is not yet free of magick. Otherworldly forces plot to use her to incite a bloody uprising that will twist the fates of mortal and Faerie realms alike.
Exiled angel Zamiel wavers on the edge of accepting an offer from his fallen father to become Prince of Hell. Lucifer knows Lady Linnet's significance, and urges his son to pursue and protect her for sinister ends.
As Linnet flees those who would make her a pawn, Zamiel follows, tempting her trust and her passion. But the more he employs his killing rage on her behalf, the more he dreams of laying it aside in favor of peace.
If the two can find faith together, they might sunder the unholy alliance that threatens the dawn of the Golden Age of England.

My Review



Lady Linnet Norwood has a year missing from her memory, and when she was found she was sent to a convent to hide her madness. Now she's back in Queen Elizabeth I's court, searching for a husband to serve as a strong Laird to her family estate. Whilst in London she meets the dashing Lord Zamiel, when he rescues her from murderous thugs. Drawn to each other, Linnet and Zamiel struggle to fight their impossible attraction and find out who wants Linnet dead.

Linnet struggles to come to terms with the memories that hide just from her grasp. Linnet's a strong woman, and she's definitely not had an easy life- her mother 'died' when she was young, then her father declares on his deathbed that she's a bastard, and a brutish half-brother. You can really feel her frustration, and I liked seeing her go from being rather timid, to a much more determined woman. There were times when she was on the edge of being a bit too stubborn for her own good, but she's a very likable heroine.

Zamiel is the son of Lucifer and has been temporarily banished from the heavens until he repents. Deciding to take full advantage of his exile, Zamiel indulges in all manner of vices at court. He's drawn to Linnet and doesn't see the shy, half-mad Scottish Catholic, but the passionate and strong woman that she is. Zamiel was dashing and repeatedly comes to Linnet's rescue, which were definitely points in his favour. He's angry with God and the other angels, but I found him to be a bit immature and petulant at times.

I was initially drawn into the story, but I felt my interest was lost a bit because I didn't connect much with Zamiel. There's a lot going on, which means that the plot is fast-paced and intriguing. I really had no idea how they would find their HEA with so many impediments, but I was satisifed with how everything is resolved, and it leaves it open for the next book in the series.
Overall, the plot held my interest and there were plenty of mysteries to unravel, but personally I didn't really feel the chemistry between Linnet and Zamiel.

*I received a review copy from the publisher for my honest review. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)