Thursday, 9 May 2013

Book Review: Wedding in Springtime by Amanda Forester





Wedding in Springtime
Author: Amanda Forester
Format: Paperback & E-book (384 pages)
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Publish Date: 7 May 2013
Five minutes into Miss Eugenia Talbot's presentation at court, notorious rogue Mr. William Grant made her laugh, ruining her debut.
To hush up the scandal, Eugenia's aunt hires a matchmaker to quickly find a suitor— anyone except the infamous William Grant—to help restore Eugenia's reputation. 
But amiable Eugenia shows a disturbing tendency to follow her heart, and is again caught in the company of notorious Grant. When a traitor creeps closer, threatening to ruin more than just Eugenia's reputation, her kindheartedness may be her ultimate undoing...
My Review:


This is the first book I've read by Amanda Forester, and it is the first book in her regency Marriage Mart series.

I enjoyed A Wedding in Springtime, it was a fun and sweet romance through most of the book. There were elements of mystery and danger as the plot continues, which was an interesting contrast to the feel of the rest of the book. I definitely enjoyed the mystery elements, and they helped keep the pace moving.
I did feel that there was a lot going on throughout this book. It switches a lot between different characters, and there's plenty of subplots woven throughout. And whilst I enjoyed all the extra stories that were occurring, it was a bit distracting.

The start of this book definitely had me chuckling to myself, it was funny and set a great tone for the rest of the book.
Eugenia's a lovely character, she's genuine and sweet, with a kind heart. I felt bad for her that she's practically ruined through no fault of her own, but I do wish she'd had a bit more spine. She rather placidly agrees to marry any man who'd have her, to save her reputation- or rather her self-absorbed aunt's reputation. She had some brilliant moments, but without the liveliness of Grant, she might have faded into the background a bit.
Grant was a great character, he's funny and lively, with the perfect amount of roguishness. At first he's just spending time with Eugenia because he's attracted to her and enjoys flirting with her, there's not much more to it. But as they spend more time together, they both start to gradually fall in love with each other. Genie has a great effect on Grant, not only does he become eager for marriage, but she helps him to start caring more and to see that he should make more from his life. They were a very sweetly matched couple.

The intrigue and mystery picks up in the second half of the story, and just as I was going to stop reading for the night, it picked up pace and I couldn't put it down! I had to know who the bad guy was, and how everyone was going to handle all the problems that start arising.

Overall, this is a fun and lively romance, that stands out from the usual regency romance. There's plenty of intrigue to keep you hooked, and a sweet romance that blossoms throughout the story.

*I received an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley, for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)