Sunday, 26 May 2013

Book Review: One Night With You by Sophie Jordan





One Night With You
Author: Sophie Jordan
Format: E-book & Paperback (368 pages)
Publisher: Avon
Publish Date: 26 December 2007

Anything can happen after dark . . .
Tired of being treated like a servant by her own family, Lady Jane Guthrie finally has a chance to escape . . . at least for one night. Attired in a daring gown, she arrives at a scandalous courtesans' masquerade ball looking forward to her few hours of freedom. But when she sees Seth Rutledge, her skin begins to tingle with anticipation. Many years ago, Seth broke her heart by falling for her beautiful, title-hungry sister. But now here he is, right in front of her, offering her his lips . . .

Embittered by war, Seth returns home to inherit the title that would have once won him the woman of his dreams. Though duty demands he wed, he's convinced passion no longer has a place in his life . . . until a masked siren sets his heart aflame. Desperate to find her again, he has no idea it's his childhood friend Jane--and that after one night together their lives will never be the same.
My Review:





Ok, so this book had me at the blurb. It's got lots of different things working for it- childhood friends, a bit of unrequited love and a disguised identity.

Jane and Seth were best friends as children, but she always loved him, unfortunately he falls for her shallow sister. She never sees him after he is thrown out of her home for trying to propose to Madeline. Jane is married off to a boor of a husband, and eventually is widowed. She's forced to live with her in-laws who are determined to make Jane a servant in her own home. Desperate for freedom, Jane attends a masquerade where she has a passionate reunion with Seth....except he doesn't know who this mysterious woman is.

Jane is quite proper and a bit timid, but she yearns to live her own life and be out in society again. I loved seeing Jane's backbone really develop throughout the book, by the end she is determined to have a happy life and live for herself. The real Jane comes out throughout as well, and you can see how vulnerable she is, but also how passionate and strong. I was definitely rooting for her from the start, especially considering how horrible her brother-in-law is! I also loved Jane's friends, I was so glad they were there for her.

Seth has been burned in the past by Madeline, Jane's sister, so he's cynical and more than a bit bitter. His sister Julianne was blinded in a riding accident with Seth when they were younger, Seth blames himself and feels a huge burden of guilt. He's determined to marry a woman who will have Julianne's best interests at heart if anything ever happened to him. When he meets 'Aurora' at the masquerade, he's stunned to feel the intense attraction between them. Then when he's (officially) reunited with Jane, he's confused to feel the same attraction to the proper Jane.
Seth can be a bit arrogant, he also thinks he knows best when it comes to the people in his life. He does have a good and honourable heart, though it is beneath a few layers of cynicism. I'm glad that eventually his love for Jane opens his eyes.

I really enjoyed the secondary plot between Julianne and Gregory- Seth's valet. I loved Julianne, despite her blindness she's determined to live her life to the fullest. She's very sweet and rather naive and you can't help but hope she finds the right man for her.

This is the first full length novel I've read by Sophie Jordan, and I really enjoyed it. I do wish that the ending had been a little less rushed. It was very near the end of the book that our hero realises how much he loves Jane. And Julianne and Gregory's relationship is just resolved in the epilogue without us seeing what actually happened.
Apart from that, I enjoyed the heartwarming and passionate journey! I'm looking forward to reading more from Sophie Jordan.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I can't wait to read this one. This is one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it, I'll definitely be checking out more of her books. I'm so looking forward to How To Lose a Bride in One Night!

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)