Sunday, 26 May 2013

Book Review: Born In Sin by Camelia Miron Skiba




Born In Sin
Author: Camelia Miron Skiba
Format: E-book
Publish Date: 30 May 2013

Loathing the thought of his beloved Oriana in the arms of another man, fearless Zyraxes delivers death upon the Roman enemy. With only the rugged land as his bed and the sky as his blanket, trouble finds him often.Summoned to aid Oriana’s father in the war against two powerful enemies—one of them Oriana's savage husband—Zyraxes proves himself worthy of more than just noble titles and coin. But he wants none of it. What he wants is her.When Zyraxes discovers a broken and nearly dead Oriana, though forbidden, he disregards her father's orders to leave her to her death, and instead chooses to protect and conceal her. Will saving her be enough to win her heart? Will his part royal lineage make him worthy of her love?
My Review:





This is the second book in The Dacian Legends series by Camelia Miron Skiba. From the blurb I was expecting an epic forbidden romance. Whilst the romance was forbidden, and there were plenty of epicness in the form of battles, it fell just a bit flat for me.

Zyraxes has loved Oriana from afar for many years, but he know that he can never have her because he has nothing to offer her. Plus, she's married to a horrible brute. He instead throws himself into battles with fearlessness, and is a great warrior for Ilias- King of the Dacians. The Dacians lost their land when the Romans invaded, and throughout the story their primary aim is to recover their homeland. 
At the beginning of the book you're thrust straight in to the aftermath of a battle, and I wasn't really sure what was going on, I think if I had read the previous novella I might have followed it a bit better. Although after a couple of chapters I didn't feel lost any more.

I found that the plot kept my interest easily, there was always something happening. I wanted the Dacians to succeed against the Romans, and you can feel the passion they have in their mission and for their home. 
There's also plenty of characters that you can't help but feel for. 

When Zyraxes finds Oriana near death, he defies her father and has to help her. He's a skilled healer, and manages to sneak Oriana and her slave, Thera, into the keep where he can help her. Oriana has been treated appallingly by her husband and is near death when Zyraxes finds her. Of course, even as she recovers, she's easily frightened and very vulnerable. 
I had high hopes for the romance between Zyraxes and Oriana, but I was a bit disappointed. He clearly loves her passionately and would do anything for her. She is grateful to him, and likes him, and I had hoped that by the end of the book she would fall as desperately in  love with Zyraxes as he was with her. But it was left kind of unfinished. 

Overall, I enjoyed the plot twists and turns, and I was urging on the Dacians. The romance has a good build up, but left me unsatisfied. Unfortunately, whilst I enjoyed some aspects of this book, it wasn't really my cup of tea.

*I received a copy of this book from the author, for my honest opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Cerian,

    Thank you very much for taking the time to read and review my novel. As Zyraxes would say, GRATITUDE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for providing me with a copy to read :)

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)