Saturday, 30 March 2013

Book Review:Highlander Most Wanted by Maya Banks

Highlander Most Wanted
Author: Maya Banks
Format: E-Book, Paperback (351 pages)
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publish Date: March 2013

Blurb from Goodreads:
In Highlander Most Wanted, a reclusive woman content to live in the shadows shows a Highland warrior the true meaning of love.
  
Genevieve McInnes is locked behind the fortified walls of McHugh Keep, captive of a cruel laird who takes great pleasure in ruining her for any other man. Yet when Bowen Montgomery storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finds that her spirit is bent but not broken. Still, her path toward freedom remains uncertain. Unable to bear the shame of returning to a family that believes her dead or to abandon others at the keep to an imposing new laird, Genevieve opts for the peaceful life of an abbess. But Bowen’s rugged sensuality stirs something deep inside her that longs to be awakened by his patient, gentle caress—something warm, wicked, and tempting.
 
Bowen seizes his enemy’s keep, unprepared for the brooding and reclusive woman who captures his heart. He’s enchanted by her fierce determination, her unusual beauty, and her quiet, unfailing strength. But wooing her will take more than a seasoned seducer’s skill. For loving Genevieve, he discovers, means giving her back the freedom that was stolen from her—even if it means losing her forever.


My Review:






This book reduced me to a sobbing mess. I started this book, intending to read for an hour or so before I went to sleep. That was a mistake. I didn't sleep for a while, I couldn't! I absolutely had to keep on reading. I also cried pretty much continuously, anyone with a beating heart would cry at Genevieve's tragic story.

Genevieve was kidnapped by the vile Ian McHugh, when he slaughtered everyone she travelled with to see her betrothed. He took heR back to his keep, and kept her captive for a year, subjecting her to horrifying and degrading abuse. He even scars her face in an effort to make no other man want her. My heart broke reading about what Genevieve endured, and more details emerge throughout the story. 
I love how strong Genevieve is, she's a survivor. She struggles to hold her head high and retain her dignity against the cruelty of the McHugh clan. She has walls around her, to try and protect herself as much as possible, but there are cracks that are widening as she struggles to find an elusive peace.

Bowen arrives at the McHugh keep, prepared to battle the McHugh laird- only to find he has fled and left behind primarily women and children. Genevieve steps forward to defend the clan, despite their hostility towards her. Bowen doesn't know what to make of Genevieve, and although he finds himself drawn to her, he doesn't trust her initially. Especially considering the rumours that she is the one responsible for his sister-in-law's abduction.
As he gets to know Genevieve, he realises what an amazing woman she is, and how much she has suffered at the hands of others. He falls in love with her, despite risking his brother's displeasure. Bowen becomes Genevieve's champion, the one she desperately needs. He is the perfect saviour for her, he's kind, protective and patient, determined to woo her and show her how beautiful life can be again.

I loved many of the secondary characters as well. Taliesan is the only friend Genevieve has in the McHughs, she's incredibly sweet, and I can't wait to read her story with Brodie Armstrong in Highland Ever After.

This is an amazing book that I can't recommend highly enough. Genevieve and Bowen have a scorching chemistry, that develops into a tender and sweet love. Bowen helps Genevieve recover herself, and puts her happiness before everything else. I loved this story, and I can't wait to read the other books in the series because this was just heart-wrenching in the best of ways!

I received a copy from Ballantine Books via NetGalley for an honest review.

16 comments:

  1. That good, huh! I read the first one and really likd it but not as much as McCabe trilogy novels. But damn, now I'm really excited about this one. Plus, I have a feeling that I would love Genevieve. Great review =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked it lol This is the first book I've read by Maya Banks! I've got plenty to catch up on :D
      And Genevieve is great. Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Awesome review!!! I just loved this one...and I will admit I did cry quite a bit during this one. Banks' historicals are just awesome!! Have you read the first one yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a mess haha. I haven't read the first one! I plan on getting my hands on as many of her historicals as possible, very soon!

      Delete
  3. Great review. I liked this book but I enjoyed the first book more. I do however, enjoy reading up on the secondary characters because you know they'll be staring in their own book soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've literally just bought the first one, so hopefully I'll be able to read it in the next few days!

      Delete
  4. First of all I love the cover. I am really anxious to get my hands on this one & the first one. I started out on romance novels way back when. Thank you for sharing your review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The covers are so gorgeous for this series! I read this first, but I've now bought the first one, so I should be getting started on it soon :D
      Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. Spot on review. I love Maya's Highlander series. If you haven't seen it, you MUST see Tessa Dare's promo video for Maya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That video was actually brilliant haha. The Highlander series is definitely on my list of books to get soon :)

      Delete
  6. i love maya banks highlander's series....but haven't read this one..
    thx u for the review...i will definetely read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first highlander book by Maya Banks I've read and I loved it!

      Delete
  7. Interesting to see a Scottish person's take on the story--I'm glad it rang true, that's a good sign!

    Trix, vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, except guys don't wear kilts all the time any more... not sure if this is good or bad!

      Delete
  8. it really good the review.. i really i like the author ... great choise of words for the book ...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)