Friday, 22 March 2013

Book Review: Lady of Pleasure by Delilah Marvelle

Lady of Pleasure
Author: Delilah Marvelle
Format: Ebook (318 pages)
Publisher: Delilah Marvelle Productions
Publish Date: March 12, 2013

Blurb from Goodreads:
Educating one's self in the art of love takes time...

Lady Caroline Arabella Starling has been in love with her older brother's best friend, Caldwell, since she was thirteen. Unfortunately, too many things keep getting in the way of proving her love. Her four younger sisters, her mother, her brother, all of society and the man she loves himself. But where there is a will, there is a way, and Caroline is about to redefine not only respectability but true love.

Ronan Henry Dearborn, the fourth Marquess of Caldwell, lives to see himself through Caroline's eyes but knows he is leading a life unworthy of her or her dreams. He will do anything to keep her from learning the truth about himself and his past, including keeping her at a distance. But when he and Caroline get tangled in a situation neither of them can get out of, the only way to create a happily-ever-after between them is to take up the advice of a French courtesan who re-educates them both in the art of love.


My Review:







Wow. I absolutely loved it.
I've previously read books by Delilah Marvelle, but this is the first in the School of Gallantry series I've read, and the first thing on my to do list is to get my hands on the previous two books!

I immediately felt myself drawn into the story. Starting with Lady Caroline as a rather wise and precocious 13 year old who befriends the outwardly rakish Ronan, Marquess of Caldwell. Their friendship is very sweet, and you can easily see why Caroline swiftly falls in love with him.

I'll admit that I wasn't expecting the book to be so scandalous! But it was wonderfully so, and Delilah Marvelle certainly has no fears of venturing into the secret and devious sexual world that existed.
A word of warning, whilst it isn't in your face constantly there is quite a bit of sexual reference, so if you prefer your romance more tame- you may not enjoy it as much as I did. Personally, I loved it!
Plus- how gorgeous is that cover?! I've had a look, and the next two books have equally amazing covers.

Caroline was fabulous, she may be slightly more respectable than some of her outrageous family but she's forthright and confident. It's so sweet how much she loves Ronan, she would do anything for him. Of course, the path of love isn't always smooth and she has some pretty huge bumps in her path.
My heart bled for Ronan. He has a rather easy, rakish attitude but underneath all that is a man in pain. His past is dark, and makes him so ashamed that you can't help but feel heart-wrenching pity for him. But when he realises just how much Caroline means to him he will do anything to win her back!

The other characters in this book are also marvelous. They're all so well fleshed-out, that you want to know so much more about them. Which thankfully you can, because there are 2 previous books in the series, and a further two books to come! I can not describe how excited I am- particularly for Brayton's book.
Whilst aspects of the story are dark and heart-breaking, Delilah Marvelle also writes with a humour that makes you laugh out loud at times.

Overall, I thought this was a wonderful and sensual romance that grips you immediately, and doesn't let go. I sobbed at parts (seriously I was a wreck) and cheered at others. I heartily recommend this book and I can't wait to devour the rest of the books in the series, I'm just grateful there's already two out there for me to read now!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)