Monday, 25 March 2013

Book Review: Forever and a Day by Delilah Marvelle

Forever and a Day
Author: Delilah Marvelle
Format: Paperback, E-book (384 pages)
Publisher: Harlequin Books
Publish Date: December 2011

Blurb from Goodreads:
Roderick Gideon Tremayne, the recently appointed Duke of Wentworth, never expected to find himself in New York City, tracking down a mysterious map important to his late mother. And he certainly never expected to be injured, only to wake up with no memory of who he is. But when he sees the fiery-haired beauty who's taken it upon herself to rescue him, suddenly his memory is the last thing on his mind. 

Georgia Milton, the young head of New York's notorious Forty Thieves, feels responsible for the man who was trying to save her bag from a thief. But she's not prepared for the fierce passion he ignites within her. When his memory begins to return, her whole world is threatened, and Roderick must choose between the life he forgot and the life he never knew existed.…



My Review:







One of my favourite things about this book is Delilah Marvelle's writing style, her romances are often grittier than the typical historical romance. They're certainly very passionate! And I love how one minute she can make me laugh, then I'm sobbing into my dressing gown... a lovely image, I know.

I tended to turn on and off with this story, a little bit. I enjoyed Georgia and Roderick/Robinson's (I'm just going to call him Robinson I think) meeting. It was flirtatious and his persistence and gentlemanly manner was sweet. When he suffers the loss of his memory, Georgia feels guilty and takes him under her wing, though it's clear he's from a different world than her. Robinson had a charming innocent quality, and was such a gentleman to her and all he met when he was staying with Georgia.

I liked Georgia, although I'll admit I didn't love her. She's sassy, witty, strong but with a heart of gold. She's grown up in poverty and lived with it her whole life. She's very admirable and dreams of heading west and starting a new life farming in Ohio. I feel like such a prude saying this, but she was so crass! I know, she's from the hard streets of poverty-stricken New York etc., and part of the charm is that she's very blunt- even so, I'd probably have liked her a bit more if she wasn't as full-on.

I loved Robinson. Although he's almost like a different person when he finally starts getting his memory back- but I liked Roderick (Robinson with his memory back) just as much! He loves Georgia too much to make her into someone she's not, and in the process make her miserable. He loves her enough to let go. Thankfully Georgia wouldn't leave his life without a fight!

I really enjoyed the section with the flashback of Robinson's life. It provided so much insight as to who he is, and how he became the person he is. Normally this would be woven throughout the story, but considering he didn't know who he was for the first half of the book I thought it was very well done.

When Georgia arrives in London, determined to claim her man; I was very pleased at her transformation. She's still Georgia, with all her sass and directness, but with the edges slightly softened. And in my head, I was like 'Yeah, you go get your man'...alright I said it out loud.
This section was a bit anti-climatic though. It felt that as soon as they were reunited, the attention of the book was shifted to Atwood, and then it was time for the epilogue.

I loved the introductions to the characters who will be the main focuses for the next two books in the Rumour series, and I can't wait to get started on those! Although I have a very strong urge to read Atwood's story (Robinson's Uncle) first, I will be good and read them in the proper order.

This book will make you laugh, gasp, cry and yell; but the emotional ride it takes you on is totally worth it. I can almost guarantee it'll leave you wanting more, and thankfully there is more! So I'm off to read book 2...or book 3.....no, book 2. I want to read Atwood's story so badly though!


4 comments:

  1. Good Review! I haven't read this author yet, but her books are on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the next book in the series now, and it doesn't disappoint! I've really enjoyed all of her books so far :)

      Delete

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)