Friday, 8 March 2013

Book Review: Away From The Spotlight by Tamara Carlisle


Away From The Spotlight
Author: Tamara Carlisle
Format: Ebook (481 pages)
Publish Date: June 2012

Blurb from Goodreads:
In the closing weeks of law school, Shannon Sutherland meets handsome and charming Englishman Will MacKenzie. Initially swept off her feet, Shannon finds that Will has a secret that, once discovered and the consequences realized, could destroy their fledgling relationship. Will and Shannon take great pains to have a normal relationship but, ultimately, find it impossible to do so. Will the pressures of their careers and the temptations of others drive Will and Shannon apart? Can Will and Shannon live a happy life away from the spotlight?

Tamara Carlisle takes you on a romantic ride that explores the consequences of fame and a love that endures all.

My Review:









I found the blurb and the general plot line intriguing, and looked forward to starting this book. After all, I think most girls daydream about falling in love with a hot, movie star who only has eyes for them (I certainly do!)

The writing had a very natural style and was easy to read. The characters were all well described and 3-dimensional. I felt that I knew even the secondary characters well.
I liked both Shannon and Will. Will was down to earth, sensitive, caring and generous. I liked that he had insecurities and wasn’t an arrogant, infallible stereotype. Shannon was also kind, humble, and loving. And boy, did that girl have some insecurities- although I guess if you’re an ordinary girl dating a huge celebrity, you’re going to feel very insecure. I even found their constant declarations of love to be sweet.

One of the biggest letdowns of this book, for me, was that I just didn't feel the chemistry. I know there were the scenes where they would have sex, but it would just kind of be stated and moved on from. I don’t need graphic details; I just found it hard to really believe in!
The whole book was written in the first person from Shannon’s perspective and whilst it was great that it felt that I knew Shannon really well, I didn't know enough about what Will was feeling most of the time, which was frustrating.

The biggest bugbear I had was when the characters texted each other. The texts were written up like a dialogue; fine. But I absolutely HATE text slang. It drives me completely nutty. It’s a personal thing, but every time they texted each other (in that text slang) I would start yelling at my kindle which would ruin the moment.

The book is very long, far too long for the story. It was also overly descriptive. Plus how many times was it mentioned that Shannon had red hair? A lot would be the answer.
The ending picked up for me with their reconciliation (I’m trying not to give much away). I was happy with the story, things were moving at a nice pace after the sluggish middle. Unfortunately the last few chapters killed my enjoyment. I thought they were totally unnecessary, with large time jumps and I didn't enjoy them.

Overall, I wish I could give this book a higher rating because there were parts of it I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, my enjoyment was diminished by my irritation and I think this book would have benefited from being much shorter. At least Will and Shannon got their HEA in the end, even if it wasn't what I wanted to happen.

I received an ebook copy in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, they make me happy!
So please leave a comment, and I'll try to return the love ASAP :)